Tuesday, May 29, 2012

Love Despite the Consequences


This morning, cuddled up to my cat, despite my allergies, I noticed something. There are choices we make we know we will suffer for. Yet we do it anyway. This can be good – or bad.
When it’s good: I think it’s a good thing to show my cat love despite my sneezing and itchy eyes. Every morning, eager for my attention, she flies down the stairs in front of me, stops at the bottom, drops, shows me her belly and meows. She might as well say, “Rub my belly.” I selflessly oblige.
When it’s bad: Take drinking to excess for example. The consequences: loss of balance, inability to think clearly, lack of judgment, throwing up, vertigo, hangover, blackouts, fights, car accidents, abuse, liver damage, alcoholism and the ultimate penalty – death, yours or someone else’s.
The list of poor choices we make despite the consequences is endless: Lying, cheating, stealing, temper tantrums, immorality, eating too much, road rage, being lazy, etc, etc, etc. I can’t list everything, but I can tell you what is at the heart of these poor choices – selfishness – love of self.
The source of good choices is the opposite – selflessness – love of others. These include things that involve some sort of sacrifice such as charitable donations, volunteering, sharing God’s word or, the ultimate sacrifice – giving your life to save someone else.
Since there are consequences to every action we take, how do we know if we’re making the right choice? Find out what the Bible has to say about it. All our answers are there if we take the time to look. The best thing we can do is follow the two greatest commandments found in Matthew 22:37-38:
“Love the Lord your God with all your heart and with all your soul and with all your mind.”
“Love your neighbor as yourself.”
                When in doubt put others before yourself. The key is to love – the real, Godly, 1 Corinthians 13 kind of love – despite the consequences.
His servant,
~Jenn

Meet my cat, Molly. She loves boxes.

No comments:

Post a Comment