Monday, May 28, 2012

Memorial Day


When I was a kid, I loved Memorial Day. Why? Because I got to stay home from school and see a parade. I didn't get it.
Every day American men and women fight for our freedom. These soldiers are fathers, mothers, sons, daughters, brothers and sisters. They don’t get a holiday. They don’t get a parade. They serve, away from their families, away from the comforts of home, placing their lives in danger 24/7. Some of them never make it home.
These men and women willingly offer their lives for us, for our country, for our freedom – whether we are grateful and deserving or not.
I am grateful that I can worship freely and share the word of God without fearing for my life. I am grateful that I can vote for my president. I am grateful that I am allowed to own a home, start a business and write a book without a forced political agenda. I am grateful that I can educate my child at home and choose the curriculum. Without the sacrifice these soldiers make, we would not have the freedoms we take for granted today.
Let’s take a moment to reflect on all that we have. Let us be grateful to God for blessing our country. Pray that He continues to bless us. Take a moment to express our gratitude to Him.
Please also pray for the families of fallen soldiers – for their comfort. If you know anyone who has lost a parent, child or sibling serving our country, take a moment to express your gratitude. Their sacrifice was not in vain. To those of us who finally get it - Memorial Day is much more than a day off and a parade.
His servant,
~Jenn

No comments:

Post a Comment