Friday, May 25, 2012

Note to Graduates


Congratulations to all you graduates out there! Time for the age-old question: What are you going to be when you grow up?
I struggled with this question for years. I only figured it out a couple of years ago – and I’m old. The funny thing is - from the time I was little, I wanted to write. Why was it so hard to figure out? Because writing is not easy and the chances of making a lot of money are slim.
Mistake #1: Money was my primary goal
Mistake #2: I tried taking short-cuts
Mistake #3: I dismissed God’s will for me
Do you notice something about these mistakes? They’re greedy and self-centered. Nothing good comes from living for yourself. Don’t make the same mistakes I did. Check out my testimony if you want to see where these mistakes got me.
Here are some things you should consider:
WHAT DO YOU ENJOY?
God has given us the personality we have for a reason. Do you love to write? Do you enjoy making movies? Are you fascinated by the human brain? Are you passionate about government? Do you want to defend America’s freedom? Chances are, whatever you enjoy, there is a reason for it.
WHAT ARE YOUR STRENGTHS?
Even if you can’t see it, we all have strengths. God gifted us with certain skills for a purpose. Are you a decent writer? Are you nurturing? Can you remain calm in emergency situations? Do people tend to listen to and want to follow you? Are you a good speaker? Can you handle the sight of blood without feeling ill? God gives us all certain skills for a reason. If you don’t know what yours are ask your parents or close friends.
Remember:
1.       Never make choices rooted in greed and selfishness.
2.       Always seek God’s will for your life. Who knows better than He who created you?
One last bit of advice: If you’re off to college, join up with Campus Crusades for Christ or another Christian group on your campus. Stick to like-minded people who will support you and keep you on the straight and narrow. Don’t succumb to the way of the world. It might be tempting and it might seem to work for you for a while, but it leads to certain disaster.
Who are you going to live for – yourself or God?
His servant,
~Jenn

Graduation Cap Pictures, Images and Photos

1 comment:

  1. Wise advice, and worth reading for grads and again later in life. Thanks, Jennifer.

    ReplyDelete