Monday, October 1, 2012

Christian Fantasy


               How many Christian fantasy authors are there? How many Christian fantasy books are published? Any clue? If you’re like me before I sought them out, you aren’t familiar with many. How sad.
Christian books are a tiny segment of the publishing industry. Within that small group, fantasy is seems to be on the bottom of the totem pole. The secular world doesn’t want to read them because they’re Christian and Christians don’t want to read them because they’re fantasy. No wonder most of us aren’t aware of these authors—or their books.
A while ago, I began a search for Christian fantasy authors. I had written a young adult Christian fantasy and wanted to find others like me. That required some serious digging. But guess what … they exist! You’re unlikely to find their works in a bookstore, but many are available online.
It’s a tragedy that these books aren’t readily available in bookstores. But, now that I’ve found that these books do exist, I have made it my mission to seek, read and review Christian secular fiction … one book at a time. I will begin posting these reviews on my blog. Sadly, I’m a slow reader, so they won’t occur too often. But here’s my current list:
Prophet by R. J. Larson
Rabbit: Chasing Beth Rider by Ellen C. Maze
The Captives by Precarious Yates
The Story in the Stars by Yvonne Anderson
Reality’s Dawn by R. L. Copple
The Duke’s Handmaid by Caprice Hokstad
Anyone care to read along with me? Or, if you know of any good Christian fantasies you would like me to add it to my list to review, comment here or contact me. 
Happy reading!
His servant,
~Jenn

14 comments:

  1. Heh, I've been going through the exact same process, finding people and their books. A few more titles:

    Finding Angel (and the sequel, Seeking Unseen), by Kat Heckenbach (YA modern fantasy a la Harry Potter)

    The Earth Painter, by Melissa Lee (YA modern fantasy)

    Asylum: The Circeae Tales by Ashley Hodges Bazer (adult science fiction)

    The library at speculativefaith.com has a bajillion more. Those are just the ones I've read this year. I've also read Reality's Fire (the whole series) and the Duke's Handmaid. My reviews are on their Amazon pages. :-)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Finding Angel. I meant to add that to my list. Thanks for the reminder. I'll add the other two as well. Thanks, Kessie!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Star of Justice by Robynn Tolbert and Curse Bearer by Rebecca P. Minor are some other good ones.

      In addition to the Speculative Faith site, fans of Christian Fantasy will want to check out New Authors Fellowship, a group blog by and for writers of Christian Spec.Fic. http://newauthors.wordpress.com/

      And keep an eye on faithandfantasycon.wordpress.com, where Minor is planning a Christian Fantasy conference for writers, artists, and readers.

      Delete
    2. Thanks for the suggestions! It looks like faithandfantasycon has been deleted? I'm interested in that conference if they're still considering it. Let me know if it's moved somewhere else.

      Delete
  3. Jennifer,

    It appears we have similar goals! A couple of books you might also like to consider are Halflings by Heather Burch and Angel Eyes by Shannon Dittemore. These are both YA fantasy. I just read and reviewed Kat Heckenbach's Finding Angel (great), and her second book is in my to-read short list.

    Keep reading and reviewing!

    ReplyDelete
  4. LOL. The same time you were posting this here, I was responding to your note on LGG. Yes, it does seem we have similar goals. I can't wait to hear more about your WIP. Sounds intriguing! Thanks for the suggestions. Consider them added to my list! :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Jenn,

    This is self-serving on my part, but my sci-fi novel is actually an allegory based on the life of Paul the Apostle you might enjoy reading. It is called When the Sky Fell, and you can check it out on my website: www.mikelynchbooks.com

    Mike

    ReplyDelete
  6. Oops,

    I also forgot about my Christian fantasy novel, The Crystal Portal.

    Mike

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Sweet! Thanks, Mike. I love Paul. Both books are on my list. Now I just need to learn to read faster. ;)

      Oh ... and I don't think it's self-serving at all. God's work doesn't do anyone much good on a shelf. We gotta get it out there!

      Delete
  7. I'd encourage you to check out the books from Marcher Lord Press, Jennifer. I've read many of them and think they're great. (And I'm saying that as a reader, not as an author. :))

    ReplyDelete
  8. Check out Morgan Busse's fantasy series
    (morganlbusse.com) and Brian Godawa's fantasy-tinged retelling of the Old Testament (godawa.com).

    ReplyDelete
  9. I would also add to check out the works of George Macdonald, who really is the "grandfather" of Christian fantasy that preceded (and inspired) Tolkien and Lewis.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks! I will definitely check them out!

      Delete