Monday, September 2, 2013

MTHFR

I’ve always known something was wrong with me (you know … aside from that pesky sin nature we all suffer from). But, even as the symptoms grew worse, no doctors have been able to figure out what it was. I’ve had anxiety and OCD all my life. I’ve dealt with depression. As a young adult I developed digestive issues and migraines. My hair prematurely greyed. Before my daughter was born I had two miscarriages. Then asthma. Then chronic fatigue. And recently, diabetes.
What in the world? I’m not even 40 yet. I’m not overweight. My eating habits aren’t terrible. Why am I so sick? 
When the results of a blood test for a life insurance policy came back showing diabetes, I knew my doctor would throw a blood sugar regulating pill at me. After much prayer and internal debate, I went to a friend's homeopathic doctor.
What? A homeopathic doctor? They’re not real Doctors.
Right?
How I found this doctor was another story … definitely an answer to prayer. And I believe my going to see him despite scoffers and my own skepticism was an act of obedience. In any case, he’s been doing something most doctors don't: he spends time with me to determine the root cause rather than put a band-aid on a symptom and boot me out the door within 15 minutes.
A couple weeks ago, my blood results came back with an answer: methylenetetrahhydrofolate reductase (MTHFR)
Basically, MTHFR is a genetic variant. It effects your ability to convert folic acid which is necessary for important processes like eliminating toxins. I don't pretend to understand how it all works, but it's responsible for ALL the symptoms I mentioned above.
Though I'd never heard of it before, MTHFR is COMMON. Approximately 40% of the population has this problem. Most don’t even know it. I want to raise awareness … particularly since it can lead to Parkinson’s and Alzheimer’s. All it takes are vitamin supplements and toxin avoidance and all these symptoms virtually disappear.
After all these years I’m getting my life back. I haven’t felt so good in so long and I can feel myself getting stronger every day. PRAISE GOD!

As I said, I want to speak up about MTHFR to save lives … the same reason I want to speak up about Christ. approximately 40% of the population suffer from MTHFR but 100% of the population suffers from a sin nature. And 100% will suffer eternally if they don’t accept the gift God offers each one. Don't listen to scoffers. Ignore the skeptic in your head. He’s reaching His hand out … take it!

“For God so loved the world that He gave His one and only Son, that whoever believes in Him shall not perish but have eternal life.”

~John 3:16

His servant,
~Jenn

If you want to know more about MTHFR, Google or Bing it. There’s tons of information out there. Get tested. Don’t wait. Your life is waiting for you!

 If you want to know how you can have eternal life through Christ, email me!

4 comments:

  1. Oh wow, that's amazing! How long did it take you to start feeling better once you changed your diet?

    I've been reading the Nourishing Traditions cookbook. She talks about how different races have different food tolerances--many Asians are lactose intolerant because their ancestors didn't eat much dairy. So a diet that works for one person may be horrible for another, depending on genetics. This fits right along with that.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I've been changing my diet for a while due to diabetes and celiac. But even eating healthy isn't enough. Once I got the supplements I needed ... metafolate, vit B6, B12, C and a couple others, I noticed a difference within a couple days. I've heard about things like eating for your blood type, which is similar to what you're talking about and it makes sense. But, this is something a change in diet helps, but can't fix. The supplements are necessary. Which is why I want to get the word out!

      Delete
  2. This is fascinating. I'll definitely be researching as your summary of your health history is similar to mine. Can you expound a little on toxin avoidance? What do you specifically have to avoid?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I try to eat organic (to avoid pesticides-some can't be washed off). And I avoid drinking from plastic unless I know it's BPA free. And don't heat anything up in a plastic container unless it's BPA free (better yet ... switch to glass). If you don't know the levels of arsenic and heavy metals in your water, you should test it and filter it if necessary. Next, I need to look into cleaning products and other environmental toxins. There's a lot to consider!

      Delete