Saturday, September 14, 2013

The Steward Ship

With all that I've been through with my health lately, I'm learning we’re to be called to be good stewards of ALL God has given us … including our bodies.
Do you not know that you are God’s temple and that God’s Spirit dwells in you?” ~1 Corinthians 3:16
Think about it. What good are we to God if we don’t have the energy to do His will? What if we’re too sick? What if we become a burden to others? Please don’t misunderstand me. God has a purpose for everything, including illness. People get sick and hurt. God might use it to teach you or others valuable lessons. We may not know until we meet Him. In the meantime, while we have the chance, we should take care of the Holy Temple God has given us to house His Holy Spirit.
Less than a year ago, I was told I had diabetes. I took that wakeup call seriously. Before it progressed and I became insulin dependent, I cut sugar out of my diet and ate healthier. My dedication paid off. A few months later, I was no longer diabetic. But I still had work to do. I needed to take better care of myself. I tried to exercise, but I just couldn’t summon the energy. My determination to take care of what God had given me would not be quenched. I persisted and was diagnosed with MTHFR. Now I have the supplement (methylfolate) I need and my health and energy is improving every day.
Are you struggling with your health? Here are a few things I recommend:
·         Pray – Anything we attempt to do should begin with prayer. Who knows what you need better than He who created you? Tell Him your struggles. Ask Him what you should do. If you need help with anything from summoning energy, strength or getting up earlier, ask Him.
·         Exercise – Our bodies were built to work. Especially if you have a sedentary job, you need to find time to get your heart pumping every day. Sweating is the best way to detox. Run, walk at a brisk pace, pop in an exercise DVD, whatever you need to do. Do it! Even if you don’t have the energy. It’s one of those backward things—you need to exercise to get energy, not vice versa. Find an accountability partner to help you. Make it a priority. As Paul said, “But I discipline my body and keep it under control, lest after preaching to others I myself should be disqualified” ~1 Corinthians 9:27
·         Eat organic fruits and vegetables – I believe we were created to eat primarily fruits and vegetables (minus the pesticides). We didn’t begin eating meat until after the fall. Many of the grains we eat today have been genetically altered. This means they’re no longer what God created to be processed in our body as He intended. These so-called “healthy whole grains” are man-made replicas which have not been tested for human consumption. Since I loaded my diet with organic fruits and vegetables and eliminated gluten, I no longer crave the processed junk I once loved. I still see things like apple pie and wish I could have it. I plan to learn to make a gluten free crust so I can make one, but these things must be in moderation. The healthy stuff should be the primary sustenance.
·         Don’t give up – If you’re tired, get up and exercise anyway. If you truly just can’t summon the energy, seek medical advice. If your doctor shrugs, find another one or go to a nutritionist or holistic doctor. Find someone who will spend time with you.
·         No excuses – Never say tomorrow. I once heard someone say that tomorrow is the devil’s favorite word. Get off your rump and do it today. If you have a medical condition, seek the doctor’s advice. Don’t let it be an excuse.

I still have much to learn. But with God’s help, in good health or in bad, I’ll do the best I can with what He’s given me. Whatever you do, I pray you will earnestly seek God’s will for all He has given you, before it’s too late. It may be a long journey, but the Bible tells me travels full of obedience and perseverance are worth the trip.
He will wipe away every tear from their eyes, and death shall be no more, neither shall there be mourning, nor crying, nor pain anymore, for the former things have passed away.” ~Revelation 21:4
Until then, I pray the Steward Ship will not set sail without you.
                                                                       His servant,
                                                                                              ~Jenn

No comments:

Post a Comment