Wednesday, July 8, 2015

God's Promises

Last week, one of the members of my church stopped and took this picture.



It hasn’t been altered at all! No photoshop. Nothing.

It made me wonder—is God trying to tell us something? I mean, it's right over our church building! Rather than allow my imagination to take over or to assume I remembered exactly what God had already said, I went back to His Word.

“And God said, ‘This is the sign of the covenant I am making between me and you and every living creature with you, a covenant for all generations to come: I have set my rainbow in the clouds, and it will be the sign of the covenant between me and the earth. Whenever I bring clouds over the earth and the rainbow appears in the clouds, I will remember my covenant between me and you and all living creatures of every kind. Never again will the waters become a flood to destroy all life. Whenever the rainbow appears in the clouds, I will see it and remember the everlasting covenant between God and all living creatures of every kind on the earth.’” – Genesis 9:12-16 

God sees His rainbow and remembers us! I love the thought of being on God's mind. I love that I have a God who would bother to make promises to us at all. He doesn't need to. It's all for our benefit, not His. And due to the nature of who He is, He can’t lie or break a promise. Paul said this: 

“Paul, a servant of God and an apostle of Jesus Christ, for the sake of the faith of God's elect and their knowledge of the truth, which accords with godliness, in hope of eternal life, which God, who never lies, promised before the ages began;” – Titus 1:1-2 

God keeps His promises.

Did you know the Bible is full of promises He’s made with us? Here’s one for those who haven’t been saved:

“Peter replied, ‘Each of you must repent of your sins and turn to God, and be baptized in the name of Jesus Christ for the forgiveness of your sins. Then you will receive the gift of the Holy Spirit. This promise is to you, to your children, and to those far away—all who have been called by the Lord our God.’” – Acts 2:38-39

And there are many more for believers:

“And this same God who takes care of me will supply all your needs from his glorious riches, which have been given to us in Christ Jesus.” – Philippians 4:19

“And because of His glory and excellence, He has given us great and precious promises. These are the promises that enable you to share His divine nature and escape the world’s corruption caused by human desires.” – 2 Peter 1:4

Did you know the Bible is full of promises to you? When is the last time you studied God’s word to know what He’s promised you? I challenge you to find out what His promises are. Don't make the mistake of turning away from God because He failed to follow through with something He never promised. Find out what He has promised. Then claim them. Stand on those promises! It's so powerful. As it states in my favorite verse in the hymn:

Standing on the promises that cannot fail,
When the howling storms of doubt and fear assail,
By the living Word of God I shall prevail,
Standing on the promises of God. 

I'm going to stand on His promises. And when I see a rainbow in the sky, I will know that God is thinking of us, remembering His promise to us. And I’ll remember that I have an awesome Father who loves us enough to make so many amazing promises to us … and keep them.

His servant,

J.F. Rogers

No comments:

Post a Comment