Friday, May 27, 2016

Doors, Windows, and Jericho

I can't tell you how often I hear Christians talk about God closing doors and opening windows. Are we really just rats in a maze, sniffing our way from one end of the box to the next, searching out the promised cheese? What happens when God puts a guarded wall in front of us? That must mean He doesn't intend for us proceed. Right?

But what about Jericho?

God promised the land to His people. He showed them where to go. He told them to take it. A giant wall and armed guards stopped them. Only two trusted God...

"Two of the men who had explored the land, Joshua son of Nun and Caleb son of Jephunneh, tore their clothing. They said to all the people of Israel, “The land we traveled through and explored is a wonderful land! And if the Lord is pleased with us, He will bring us safely into that land and give it to us. It is a rich land flowing with milk and honey. Do not rebel against the Lord, and don’t be afraid of the people of the land. They are only helpless prey to us! They have no protection, but the Lord is with us! Don’t be afraid of them!”

But the whole community began to talk about stoning Joshua and Caleb. Then the glorious presence of the Lord appeared to all the Israelites at the Tabernacle. And the Lord said to Moses, “How long will these people treat me with contempt? Will they never believe me, even after all the miraculous signs I have done among them?"


The Israelites failure to trust their Father resulted in wandering the desert for forty years. Do you think it's possible that when we scurry about, passing closed doors and looking for windows, we're essentially wandering? Or worse--failing to trust God?

I don't want to wander. I'd rather trust my God and walk around a fortress seven times while guards mock me. I'd rather have a plan and stick to it, knowing it's God's plan and He is with me. I'd rather trust God to knock those walls down...somehow. Assuming, of course, that He intended me to go past those walls in the first place, as he did with the Israelites.

How do we know His intention for our lives?

Be intentional. Stay connected to God. Read His word. Spend alone time with Him. Talk to Him constantly (this doesn't need to be done out loud). Seek wise counsel.

This is much easier said than done. But I'd rather park outside the gates of Jericho, pray, and seek God's will, than wander aimlessly. Or worse, take off in another direction seeking an alternate destination.

I pray that you earnestly seek God's will. If He gives you an answer, I pray you will not be derailed. I pray you will have hearts like Joshua and Caleb, who knew how strong their God was and that nothing could stand against Him. Sometimes God wants us to push forward, never giving up. Sometimes the wall is the test.

"And those who know your name put their trust in you, for you, O Lord, have not forsaken those who seek you. - Psalm 9:10"

You are loved,

J F Rogers

No comments:

Post a Comment